Hey guys! Its been a long time of 3 months since the last update. Been pretty busy with school and monster hunter with a little bit of personal life here and there. In another 3 more days it would be the World Championships Qualifiers for Singapore! So which deck are you going to choose? Prophecy or Dragons? Or with the recent release of the Blue Eyes Descent Structure deck, would you even consider it?
Released on the 15th of June, the Blue Eyes Descent Structure deck may actually have a small impact on the meta. Why? Let us just take a look at some of the new cards that were released in it.
Effect Monster/Light/Spellcaster/LV 1/Tuner
ATK 0 / DEF 0
When this card is targeted for an attack: You can negate the attack, and if you do, change this card's battle position, then you can Special Summon 1 "Blue-Eyes White Dragon" from your hand, Deck, or Graveyard. When this face-up card is targeted by a card effect: You can Special Summon 1 "Blue-Eyes White Dragon" from your hand, Deck, or Graveyard. You can only use 1 "Azure-Eyed Maiden" effect per turn, and only once that turn.
Just by looking at this card, we can all tell ourselves, what the hell was Konami thinking? This card is such a huge problem! And why?
1 - Maiden is a Spellcaster monster, enables her to be special summoned by our currently all time favourite Prophecy card, [Spellbook of Judgement].
2 - Her effects of being targetted can mean being targetted by either your own, or your opponent's card effects. As such cards like [Spellbook of Power] and [Spellbook of Wisdom] greatly helps her in summoning [Blue Eyes White Dragon]
But however powerful she may be just by looking at her effects, there are a few ruling issues with her that may have nerfed her effects down.
1. Both her effects are trigger effects
2. The effect that activates when she is the target of an attack can only be used once per turn
3. The first effect does not target the attacking monster
4. If she is no longer on field during resolution of the first effect, the attack nullification effect cannot be confirmed, Blue Eyes is not special summoned
5. If Book of moon is chained to her first effect, the attack is still negated, she gets flipped to attack mode by her own effect after Book of Moon resolves and Blue Eyes is special summoned (broken?)
6. The 2nd effect cannot be activated during the damage step
7. Even if she is no longer on field when resolving the 2nd effect, Blue Eyes is still special summoned
8. If Heavy Storm is used, then Blast with Chain and Fuhma Shuriken is sent to grave. If the effects resolve with Blast with Chain targeting Azure maiden, then Fuhma Shuriken burn effect on chain 2, Azure Maiden's summoning effect does not activate. However if set the other way with chain 1 as Fuhma Shuriken and chain 2 as Blast with Chain on Azure Maiden, her effect will activate as chain 3.
(This states that Maiden's effect must be a direct chain towards anything that was targetting it in the first place)
Source of the rulings were taken from here.
Next up, the second card that we will be talking about today will be,
[Azure-Eyed Silver Dragon]
Effect Monster/Synchro/Light/LV 9
ATK 2500 / DEF 3000
Tuner + 1 or more Non-Tuner NORMAL monster
When this card is Special Summoned: Until the end of the next turn, Dragon-Type monsters you control cannot be targeted or destroyed by card effects. Once per turn, during your Standby Phase: You can target 1 Normal Monster in your Graveyard; Special Summon that target.
How to summon this card in the most legit way? Maiden + Blue Eyes, simple? Why is this card strong?
- Defense point of 3000, currently except for Prophecy decks, Dragon Ruler decks may usually have a hard time clearing this monster.
- Free Protection effect for your Dragon-Type monsters, makes it hard for your opponent to steal away with [Number 11: Big Eye] or even bomb it away with [Mecha Phantom Beast Dracossack].
The only thing that could get rid of it easily would be [Spellbook of Fate].
- Free Revival effect, So I heard everyturn free summon of a 3000 attack monster is good?
The above 2 cards will probably make their way into Prophecy decks now since they are quite easily summoned by the Prophecy engine. Though having Blue Eyes White Dragon in your starting hand is not exactly the best scenario that you would want! Short post today, now for the remaining 2 cards, lets leave it for another day.