Thursday, November 28, 2013

Tournament Report @ Asia Plus Singapore Qualifiers 24/11/13

Its been quite awhile since the previous update, as usual I was quite busy with school stuff and more! Not to also mention that I was also busy training for the Asia Plus Qualifiers held on 24/11/13. Without further a do, lets fire off!



Tournament: Asia Plus Singapore Qualifiers
Format: 4 rounds swiss, proceed to top 4 cut off. Top 4 will then merge with seeded teams to form the new top 8.
Participants: 24 on-site participants. 4 seeded teams
Team Name: Team Blue Bird
Deck Used: Fire Fist 4 Axis

First Match of Swiss VS Constellars
Solo: OXO - Win
Team: OOO - Win

My opponent started first and activated [Fire Formation - Tenki]. The first assumption that came to my mind was that my opponent might be using a mirror deck as mine, Fire Fists. However to my surprised he searched out for [Constellar Kaust]. He summoned out [Constellar Algiedi] and used its effect to special summon Kaust, after which he used Kaust's effect to raised both of their levels to 5 and xyz summoned out [Constellar Pleiades]. Immediately after summoning out Pleiades, he used its effect to return his Tenki back to hand, set one card and ended his turn.

I activated [Dark Hole] to clear Pleiades and summoned out [Brotherhood of the Fire Fist - Bear] to have a first blood on my opponent's lifepoints.  I then searched out for [Fire Formation - Tensu] and used the additional normal summon effect to normal summon out [Brotherhood of the Fire Fist - Boar] and xyz summon for [Brotherhood of the Fire Fist - Tiger King], used its effect to search for Tenki and used Tenki's effect to search for [Coach Soldier Wolfbark]. After slowly controlling for a few turns, I eventually managed to beat down his field and take the win.

Early during the second game, I had took quite a hefty blow to my lifepoints, leaving it at only 1200 lifepoints. However, I managed to control the field with 2 monsters and with a few set cards but without [Fire Formation - Tenken]. He managed to have [Constellar Sombres] and used its effect to get Kaust back. Further summoning it and making both their levels at 5, xyz summoning out [No 61: Volcasaurus] and destroying one of my monsters to reduce my lifepoints to 0.

In the third game he didn't have much luck with drawing monster cards to defend himself. After thinning down his resources, I managed to win by steadily.


Second Match of Swiss VS Lightsworns
Solo: XOX - Lose
Team: XOX - Lose

First game ended quickly in less than 5 minutes. In my opponent's 2nd turn, he cleared my field and summoned out 2 [Judgment Dragons] and 1 [Black Luster Soldier - Envoy of the Beginning], Good game sir?

Second round I started to control him by having [Dimensional Fissure] in place on my field.

Third round was the best though, he managed to remove 2 Judgment Dragons away from the game by using the effect of [Eclipse Wyvern]s. However I summoned out [Brotherhood of the Fire Fist - Cardinal] and shuffled back the [Eclipse Wyvern]s, making the Judgment Dragons removed away from the game "for good". However, after prolonging the game for too long, he managed to farm for what he wanted and summoned out his last copy of Judgment Dragon which gave me the end game.


Third Match of Swiss VS Dragon Rulers (Bryan Tew)
Solo: XOO - Win
Team: OOO - Win

Probably one of the best matches of the day as I wanted to at least have a go at [Dragon Rulers] (because I already main-ed [Soul Drain] just for them). But Bryan was too strong, he had [Heavy Storm] in every single game we played! Clearing out all my [Soul Drain]s or [Gozen Match] in the first and second game.  During the 3rd game, we were playing against time and had to reduce as much of either of our lifepoints in order to win. After taking a look at his graveyard which appeared to be tons of [Maxx "C"] and had no other dragons, I took the chance to summon out [No 101: Silent Honors Ark Knight] and sealed in his [Blaster, Dragon Ruler of Infernos] and also summoned out [Diamond Dire Wolf] to clear off his face-down monster, which appeared to be another Maxx "C" again. Ark Knight then went for the attack and making his lifepoints 3300, while mine at 3700. He drew a [Scapegoat] at his next draw, but it was his last battle phase already. With that, I won the timeout!

Fourth Match of Swiss VS Lightsworns (Alvin Putra)
Solo: OO- - Win
Team: OOX - Win

In the first game Putra was unable to farm for anything much, which gave me a chance to farm tons of stuff and beat down for the win. In the second game, I had [Dimensional Fissure] on the field to control everything. But he managed to clear it, but not in time, as I still had quite a lot of resources remaining to give the last blow for the win.


Cut off to Top 8 VS Evilswarm (Xiao Mei)
OXO -  Win

First game she started first and summoned out [Evilswarm Ophion], I managed to hit through it during the damage step by using [Shrink]. From then on I started to farm and control the game to win.

Second game was pretty much she was able to thin down my resources to nothing and in return, beat me down for the win.

Third game I was lucky that she didn't had a chance to draw upon any monsters and allowed me to farm on to close the game.


Top 8 VS Mermail (Jonas)
Solo: XX- - Lose
Team: XOO - Win

Jonas outplayed me by having cards such as [Mystical Space Typhoon] in his arsenal and destroying my main-ed side deck cards such as [Soul Drain] to prevent his Atlantean card effects from activating. Thus I was unable to stop his search and destruction advantage from overwhelming me. His combo of the [Fishborg Archer] into [Wind-Up Zenmaines] is also one combo that stopped all my plans. Not to mention that the mind games played by having [Dragon Ice] in his hand was also very bad for me, making me unable to conduct any Xyz or Synchro summons.

In the second game, I didn't get to draw any monster and had my field open, he then proceed to summon out [Deep Sea Diva] and used its effect to summon out [Atlantean Marksman]. Marksman made a direct attack against me, using its effect to call out [Atlantean Dragoons] and direct attacking with his remaining monsters. After which he synchro summoned into [Trishula, Dragon of the Ice Barrier] and putting me into another -3 card disadvantage.

Without anything out in this scenario, I lost the game. Argh, burden!
However my team mates pulled me up and we proceeded to top 4!


Top 4 VS Evilswarm (Yew Loong)
Solo: XX- - Lose
Team: XXO - Lose

The first time I was in a featured match where the cameras were on me, the first time I failed and played so bad, such as forgetting stuff like the new [Noblswarm Beezelbuth] that could easily clear my field. Not to mention Yew long's luck was also a lot better, having [Dark Armed Dragon] at the right time to throw off my grip for control.

With this, we lost our chance at the finals! Though I'll promise myself not to even make anymore ridiculous mistakes the next time I'm going to take part in another team tournament.

3rd/4th place VS Evilswarm (Alex Yeo)
Solo: OXO - win
Team: OXX - Lose

First game started off with me drawing upon 3 copies of Bear and since I had 3 of them, might as well just summon out 1 and set upon cards such as Shrink and friends? Alex then started off his turn by summoning out [Evilswarm Heliotrope] and proceeded to attack my Bear, during the damage step, I activated Shrink and he chained upon 2 copies of [Forbidden Dress] to reduce my Bear's attack to be lower than Heliotrope's. However, after a few more turns of stalling and farming for resources, I managed to out-resource him and proceed for the win.

The second game, was purely just me being controlled by all his reverse cards and beat down.

Third game, all I can say is, Shrink is your best friend! Thanks for the great game Alex!

End Result: 4th Place

This year was a good try, thanks to my team mates for breaking the 8th place barrier for me!


Decklist as follows:

Main Deck: 40

Monsters: 13

2x Brotherhood of the Fire Fist -Dragon
3x Brotherhood of the Fire Fist - Bear
1x Brotherhood of the Fire Fist -Gorilla
2x Brotherhood of the Fire Fist - Boar
3x Coach Soldier Wolfbark
2x Thunder King Rai-Oh


Magic: 12

3x Assault of the Fire Kings
1x Dark Hole
2x Fire Formation - Tenki
3x Fire Formation - Tensu
1x Fire Formation - Gyokkou
2x Shrink


Trap: 15

1x Solemn Judgment
1x Solemn Warning
2x Bottomless Traphole
2x Fire Formation - Tensen
1x Fire Formation - Tenken
1x Starlight Road
2x Soul Drain
3x Compulsory Evacuation Device
2x Call of the Haunted


Extra Deck: 15

1x Crimson Blader
1x Stardust Dragon
1x Brotherhood of the Fire Fist - Kirin
3x Brotherhood of the Fire Fist - Tiger King
2x Brotherhood of the Fire Fist - Cardinal
1x Abyss Dweller
1x Gagaga Cowboy
1x Bujintei Kagutsuchi
1x Diamond Dire Wolf
1x No 16: Shock Master
1x No 101: Silent Honors Ark Knight
1x Noblswarm Beezelbuth

Side Deck: 15

2x Trap Eater
2x Kycoo the Ghost Destroyer
3x Dimensional Fissure
1x Twister
2x Dust Tornado
2x Mirror Force
1x Soul Drain
2x Gozen Match


Will update again on what are some of the views on certain choices of cards soon! Till then!

No comments: